Friday, May 23, 2008

Great Day to Wash Wool

Well, I have decided that I am not going to try and process anymore of this mohair. The first fleece came out ok and I was able to dye it some great colors but this second fleece is so full of stuff, I just don't want to deal with it. Thank goodness for Zeilinger Woolen Mill in Frankenmuth, MI. They have processed much of my fiber over the years when i didn't have time to do it myself and even when the fiber was full of hay and chaffe the fiber would come back awesome for spinning. I am being pretty picky about fiber so I can process it myself now.
Today I went back to processing wool. My favorite fiber to process. The day was perfect for washing and drying wool. Not too cold and not too hot. It was a bit windy so I had to cover the fiber with a screen so it wouldn't blow away. I washed one of the fleeces I had found from last year and boy did it come out beautiful. It appears to be a Romney wool fleece and possibly a lambs fleece. Very nice!
The second fleece I washed was huge. It looks to be a border leicester fleece or a border leicester cross of some kind because it is very wavy. I had to wash it one half at a time. Both halves are still soaking. Because the fleeces were coming out so clean and have very little vm in it I am doing the rinse in my washing machine. I think this fleece will go from the rinse water right to the dye pot. Looks like I wil be dyeing tonight.
Tomorrow is my daughter's prom but I am hoping to continue to wash fleece in between trips to the hair dresser and florist and picture taking etc etc. I can't wait to see her all dressed up. I will post a picture when I get back on here. Have a terrific weekend...........Anne

No comments: