Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Welcome to Emerald Hill




Hi, this is my first time having a blog. How cool is this. This blog is all about handspinning, knitting and anything that has to do with fiber. I hope you will enjoy it.
Mother's Day weekend was the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival. I spent the entire weeekend there. A friend asked if I would help out in her commercial booth and I agreed. She let me bring some of my handspun yarn, handknit items and my newest creation, Aromatherapy for Fiber.The night before the Festival I was sitting and thinking just how could I incorporate my aromatherapy into my fiber. I came up with aromatherapy sprays. I had a blast experimenting with different essential oils finding just the right blends for what I needed. I came up with 6 different sprays. Their purpose is to repell insects and moths while having a pleasant smell. All you have to do is lightly mist the fiber whether in the fleece or yarn. I usually then let it sit a few to dry and then put the fiber/yarn in a zip-loc bag. When it comes time to work the fiber it will not only be tactally pleasant but also pleasant to your nose.
Mother's Day was my 22 yr anniversary of the first day I started spinning. I spent this special day selling at the booth, spinning and sharing my knowledge of fibers with the public. This is what I love to do. There is nothing more wonderful than the look in the eyes of children as they learn about the fascinating art of spinning. By the end of the weekend I felt renewed. I left the Festival with less yarn than I came with and 4 new beautiful fleeces.
So guess what I spent most of this week doing? You guessed it. I was washing and dyeing wool. I had a ball. My deck and driveway were covered with screens full of beautiful natural wool and bright colors of dyed wool. At this moment I have a silver fleece drying beside some wool I dyed in canning jars and some silver wool I dyed green. Dyeing silver wool is awesome. The fiber comes out heathery.
Add Image
Add Image

No comments: